October 7, 2015 the Ministry of Trade published the Order No. 552n “Occupational safety regulations when working with tools and equipment”. These regulations will come into effect in three months.
Mikhail Chertkov, Director of C.A.C-GCE (member of GCE Group) says, “Works that are conducted using tools and equipment relate to high health risks. We have been following safety regulations developed more than twenty years ago (Regulatory document 34.03.204 Safety norms when working with tools and equipment). However, it is necessary to introduce new regulatory documents.”
New regulations will cover manual, mechanized, electric, abrasive and CBN, pneumatic and hydraulic, engine-driven and manual pyrotechnic tools and equipment.
“When using tools and equipment, an employee is affected by several harmful production factors. There is a risk of electrical shock and excessive noise or vibration, or personnel may be required to work at heights or outside. Besides, usage of some equipment and tools lead to gas accumulation in the work area,” comments Mikhail Chertkov.
The following statements relate to main changes in regulatory documents:
- only personnel of required competence and age can use electric, pneumatic and hydraulic, engine-driven and manual pyrotechnic tools and equipment;
- new requirements to production areas (size and lighting level) have been introduced;
- tools shall pass through certification testing;
- personnel of required qualification or company contracted for work shall bear responsibility for technical conditions and operability of tools and equipment;
- permission is required to use manual pyrotechnic equipment.
The regulations will come to effect on January 8, 2016.