Conference departement:
+ 7 (812) 325-0621, 331-8353
E-mail: conference@gce.ru

Forum 2015 results

How it was

The lessons learned after man-made accidents, analysis of industrial disasters and emergency protection practices, innovations in risk-reduction techniques and sharing experience among HSE experts from more than thirty countries – this is the outcome of XIII International Forum on Industrial Safety held on June 2-5, 2015 in St.Petersburg.

The event hosted by GCE Group is targeted to enhancement of interstate cooperation in the area of industrial accident prevention.  The Forum successfully unified four days of plenary and parallel sessions, round tables, press conferences, the exhibition and a rich cultural program.

The Forum is supported by the United Nations Organization, IAEA and CIS Executive Committee.

The Forum delegates received welcome letters from Dmitry Medvedev, Chairman of the Russian Federation Government, Georgiy Poltavchenko, the Governor of St.Petersburg and the Ministry of Natural Resources of the Russian Federation.

Aleksey Kapaev, Deputy Head of the North-West Department of Federal Service for Environment, Technological and Nuclear Supervision came out with the opening speech and accentuated necessity of international cooperation and joint solving of industrial safety issues.

Delegates from technical supervision agencies of Finland, the Kyrgyz Republic and the Republic of Belarus reported about results obtained after improvement of industrial safety legislations. Rushti Safarov, Director of Azerbaijan State Research Institute for Occupational Safety and Accident Prevention spoke about safety practices for offset oil and gas wells abandonment.

Denis Shulga, Head of HSE Department of State Unitary Enterprise of the Republic of Crimea “Chernomorneftegas” shared a unique experience of the enterprise merging into Russian legislative environment.

Detailed report about Soma disaster, one of the most large-scale catastrophes in the coal mining sector was presented during the traditional section of the Forum dedicated to man-made accident analysis. Ayhan Yüksel, Director of the Chamber of Mining Engineers, considers that involving of sub-contractors was the main reason of the accident.

Jeffrey Rosen, the President of Corona Environmental Consulting, presented the Elk River chemical spill case that affected local water sources.

Aleksey Moskalenko, Head of Risk Analysis Department in GCE Group, presented a comparative analysis of methodologies for identification of fuel-air mixture accidental detonation parameters. The expert has come to the conclusion that double interpretation of regulatory documents may lead to negative results.

Final sessions of the Forum were dedicated to hazardous cargo transportation. The speakers came to a conclusion that we need accredited governmental centers for classification and identification of hazardous cargos. Besides, it is necessary to create a solid regulatory law. Next step is development and implementation of automated information system. The system should be classified by types of transported cargo, ways of response to negative effects of hazardous cargo and accident forecast practices. Monitoring of hazardous and other types of cargo transportation will help to avoid accidents. It is planned to develop methodological and training complexes for qualification of technical experts operating in the area of hazardous cargo transportation. 

Parallel sections of the Forum focused on fire, environmental and health safety and gas sector of the Russian Federation. Experts, who had no opportunity to come to St.Petersburg, followed the Forum online. 

The entertaining program showed magnificence of St.Petersburg to the Forum participants. The guests visited St.Petersburg Opera and Fabergé Museum, made a boat trip along the canals and went to Peterhof, a world of fountains and flowers. Environmental experts had a special program and visited modern water treatment facilities and the landfill deposit and planted a rhododendron bush in the Botanic Garden of Peter the Great.  

Forum participant’s opinion

«When I get the program one day before, I realized that It is very impressive. The program is of very high quality. I introduced the Forum to my colleagues and recommend it to them. I think, it is a very important event. I’ve been on many conferences, and this is one of the best!  When I see the program, it is very difficult to understand what is missed. Nothing more at the moment».

Dr. Jouko Saarela

Dr. Jouko Saarela, Dr. Tech of Finnish Environmental Institute